Site Meter

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Zoo


What's up??

Turner went to the zoo for the first time this weekend!  I had a last minute change of plans on Saturday morning, and at the same time, Charlie and Courtney and Harrison called to see if we wanted to meet them at the zoo.  It was so fun!
When we walked in, there was a very tan, 60ish gentleman with a wife beater and white chest hair poking out standing with his wife? in front of the zoo.  He was yanking a hair from her chin.  A couple passed us and said "Dang, I think he is pulling out her whisker."  To which I replied, "It's awesome!"  with a thumbs up.  I thought Heath was going to die.  I think the woman being plucked should have been the one about to die, but she seemed mighty happy to be getting rid of the pesky hair!
Anyway, back to Turner and the zoo.  He liked it - and he sat in his big boy stroller (I know - he is almost 9 months, about time).  He loved the stroller and chilled out in recline mode most of the time.  Harrison walked and rode in a wagon, and he definitely knew his way around the zoo.  What a great tour guide!

Wouldn't give me a great shot in the stroller - way too busy people watching!



We tried to get a picture of Turner with Mr. Lion (seen above) and the real lion.  Didn't happen.  
Turner's favorite animals were the squirrel monkeys (hurts me to say squirrel).  They were yellow and little and jumped towards the glass a lot.  Probably because a man had his daughter in the window with a ginormous stuffed snake around her neck, and every time he could he would tap the snake's head against the window - hard.  Turner was loving it - I am thinking more because of the bursts of yellow in his face than actually knowing he was looking at animals.  The children's zoo was closed, so that will be a first for another time!  We made it to everything we wanted to see (I mean - Turner was pretty laid back about it this visit), and then it began raining.  A torrential downpour.  We ran back to the front of the zoo and tried to get under the awning while the guys got the cars.  We definitely got wet, but not too soaked!  
Here are some pictures:
On Sunday night, Heath and I went to the Glory Revealed II concert at Shades Mountain Baptist.  I gave the concert and c.d. and book to Heath for our anniversary.  It was INCREDIBLE!  What an awesome concert!!  I have always said that if you could marry someone based on a voice, I would marry Mac Powell.  His voice is so unique.  Before you start feeling sorry for Heath, I think he would marry him for that too.  We are equally obsessed with him.  Also, Trevor Morgan was there and did not disappoint.  Sidenote - Lauren and Jennifer, not sure if you read, but it brought back memories from Stampede Gatlinburg - was it 95?  I love him!  Aaron Shust was there - I didn't realize how many songs I recognized of his.  And Laura Story and Shawn Lewis.  The artists sang all together - they all knew each other's songs.  The songs written from the tour were almost completely scripture quoted in song.  It had a folky feel to it, and they had the words up (Heath didn't need them - already memorized all the songs) for those of us to follow along to.  David Nasser spoke - he and Mac Powell headed up the concert initiative.  Then they had a surprise guest come onstage.  It was Chris Tomlin!  Heath and I were LOVING it!  What a great date night!  It was unbelievable to be able to worship led by so many wonderful artists and stand in a room praising God with 2800 other people.  Praise the Lord!
When I got out of the car to walk into the concert (and try to race hundreds of other people in the door), my black Volatile flip flop busted!  I call it by name because this is the THIRD pair of Volatile flip flops this has happened to.  I shouldn't have been surprised.  I mean, we stepped out of the car and klutz here turned my ankle (not unusual) and the shoe broke!  So, it was awesome to walk in with one foot barefoot.  I eventually just took the other shoe off and ran up to the balcony barefoot to talk to someone.  Impressive.  A little girl from school saw me and yelled, "Mrs. Henderson - why are you BAREFOOT??"  She looked appalled.  I am sure her mom was, too.  Oh well.  Luckily, my friend Jane Ann brought me a pair from home.  I happened to be talking to her when it happened.  Speaking of Jane Ann - I have been lucky enough to teach both of her daughters and they are great family friends of ours.  She brought her oldest, Meredith.  They sat with us, and it was especially precious to be able to sing and worship with Mer Bear.  She is in 5th grade, but her heart for the Lord was so evident and she knew almost all of the songs.  What a blessing watching her genuinely worship our .  I pray Turner will be like that at her young age.  
Well, not much else going on around here except that Heath might die of excitement for Auburn football by the time Saturday gets here.  Fan.at.ic.  Turner's going to be in Auburn this weekend - pictures to follow!  Until then, he will just keep helping me with the laundry...



5 comments:

  1. LOVE that it hurts you to say "squirrel". I also love the memory forever engraved in my brain of flag football and the whole squirrel-on-a-rope episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turner's sweet smiles just melt my heart. He seems to be such a good baby. And I love how the funny things always happen around you, I wonder why? I need some good laughs soon, we need to hangout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said the exact same thing about Mac Powell ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read your posts! You crack me up!

    And...I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who has pulled the barefoot move due to busted volatile flip flops. T3 was playing with mine...on my foot. I took another step and my shoe didn't move. I thought he must be some kind of super strong kid...guess they're just poorly made. OH well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, every time I hear Trevor Morgan's name I think of you. I have pictures of the blessed Gatlinburg event : ) Love the pictures of Turner!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete