Site Meter

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Collins Henderson

Melissa "Collins" Henderson
January 22, 2012
She is here! And as I am typing this, approaching exactly a week old. I need to write this down before I forget. Heath commented that "we" haven't updated the blog lately - "we" just now found a minute to do so, and I better make the most of it!
Laurahelen and Thomas - so cute
Last Saturday night, one of my best friends, Laurahelen, got engaged! Her precious fiance hosted a surprise get-together to celebrate and Heath and I went while Mom and Dad watched the boys. When we got home, I got Mom to help me put the bedding on the crib. I guess it was nesting! Anyway, we went to bed and I had planned to stay home from church and send the boys with Heath and get some things done around the house. Right before I went to bed I read a blog of a friend of a friend who had just had a baby, and had no idea how soon I would be feeling the same thing!
Well, around 4:15 I woke up and felt some back pain. I remembered it from labor with Turner - like someone had a boot stuck in my back. So instead of waking Heath up, I texted my sister. She was in Greenville, and luckily she texted me back. I told her I was pretty sure I was contracting regularly and she told me to call the doctor and then call Mom and Dad and tell them to come on. So then I woke up Heath and did those things.
Once Mom got here (Dad was already up and walking the dog when I called Mom - impressive), we started heading to the hospital. I was pretty convinced it was the real thing, and hoping they wouldn't send me away! I had to ask the doctor on call where to go, because of course I have not toured the new hospital.
We arrived and a nurse named Katie, who had delivered Turner, met us at the desk. I was excited that she would be taking care of us. She got us all settled and I got checked and Dr. Ross said I was at 5 cm. Definitely having a baby!
I got my epidural around 8 a.m. and then we waited. My family came throughout the morning, and Heath's dad (who was driving from a trip to Louisiana) made it around 11:30. I was especially glad when Lindsey got there, since she always assists in my deliveries (to a very grateful Heath!).
I started pushing around 11:45, and this little nugget was here at 12:07 p.m. She was so tiny! And I really couldn't believe she was a girl until I saw her for myself. But she was! (Beforehand the doctor was telling me his ultrasound techs have about a 1/10,000 chance of being wrong. I told him it wasn't that - I believed them, I just needed to SEE her).
She was the easiest delivery of the three, and she was 6 pounds, 6.8 (7) oz. and 19 3/4 inches long. She cried and opened her eyes immediately and stuck out her long tongue!
Then the boys got there around 1:00 - after church got out. They were there hanging with their ladies during the delivery. Turner strutted in like a rooster asking for his baby sister. He was so proud. And John Burke couldn't wait to get his hands on her!
Then they took us upstairs to a room for recovery. We had 2 days of visitors and wonderful care from the nurses in the new hospital rooms! They were fabulous. Even when we had to evacuate the rooms at 3 a.m. to the hallway during the tornado that hit the Birmingham area.
Cousin Kate could not wait to get her hands on her - she has also called a couple of times this week to check on her. I love it.
Sweet cousin Ellie
We came home on Tuesday around lunch time. It was so nice to come home to our new house. I know God in his sovereignty knew that I would have had a nervous breakdown if I had to go to our other house! Seriously. Where would she have gone?? Well, the baby is the smallest but the boys would have absolutely driven me crazy. Now they have an upstairs to retreat to!
The first night, Collins threw me for a loop! She could not get comfortable and did not want to lie on her back. So she slept on us. Anyway, Wednesday I looked all around for positioners (that must have been recalled because I couldn't find them anywhere. Luckily my neighbor Evan had one!) Wednesday night went much better.
Then Thursday I took her to the doctor, and thankfully Mom stayed home with the wild boys in the rainstorms! They told me she had jaundice (which is par for the course as a Henderson baby), and we set up the bili beds that afternoon.
I think she was trying to lift her middle finger in disdain for the bili bed
I was excited - I thought she would love it, since Turner did. But alas, she did not! She screamed all night Thursday night in between feedings and snoozing on one of us. Praise the Lord that Mom agreed to stay one more night for my sanity's sake.
Her preferred way to break down bilirubin - laying out in the foyer's natural light
Friday night she had some stomach issues and was still hating her bed. I am not used to this from the boys as far as I can remember. But, last night, she was warm and snuggly and slept great! She woke up every 3-4 hours to feed, but there was no unhappiness in between. Now that is what I am talking about!! So I have loved her even more this morning :)
I wanted to record these things before they drift away in a newborn fog. I forget that there is nothing like holding a warm and snuggly newborn! I think with her being the third I just know how quickly it will pass (though that is not all bad!), and I want to soak up sweet time with her. But then night time comes and I remember whey it is okay that they get bigger!
Bath time this morning - the boys were very protective of her. But Heath and I were too close for them not to be :)
Turner refers to her as Baby Sister or My Friend Collins. Hmmm. He wants to know where she is and what she is doing at all times, but then he has been good to play on his own with "Bad Queen" (Lightning McQueen) or watch "Woody on the Trains" (Toy Story 3) once he makes sure she is settled. Whatever. I am enjoying his independence.
John Burke has been sick this week. Supposedly it was a bronchitis bug, but thankfully his cough didn't last long and he nipped it quickly with some antibiotics! We just had to keep him separate from his new favorite toy, Baby Sister. He was all about Mommy the few days before she came. He kept poking my far-protruding belly button and laughing and needing me to hold him constantly. He wouldn't walk far from me at all, even at school. His teachers told me that meant he sensed she was coming, and maybe he did? Or maybe he is just a needy 20 month old:). But this week he has been all about GiGi and Heath. And it has made me laugh.
This starts a new week. This weekend we have been in the car a couple of times as a family of 5, and somehow I really feel like a Mom. I should have been feeling this way for a long time, but it has been amplified as I decipher among 3 different cries. It is a blessing - help me, Jesus!


  1. Anytime you want us to watch the you can have some mother-daughter time-let us know.

  2. Kellie! Congratulations on sweet little Collins arrival!! She is just precious and I hope you guys get into your own little routine quickly! :) I would love to meet her soon!

  3. Love all of the pictures! I still can't believe you have three kids. She is beautiful. Her own little look that I love! Sending some good sleep your way cause it sure isn't happening here!

  4. Yea for a healthy, beautiful baby girl!!! Congratulations sweet friend. I am so happy for you and your precious family!!!

  5. Love the pictures! So excited for yall! Congrats on a beautiful baby GIRL!!!

  6. Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com